- Suncoast Technical College
- Practical Nursing
Program Overview (Learn More...)
What to Expect:
- Learn about theoretical instruction and gain clinical experience in medical, surgical, maternal-child, mental health, and geriatric nursing.
- Instruction includes acute and long-term care situations; personal, family, and community health concepts; mental health concepts.
- Develop an understanding of nutrition, human growth, and development; body structure and function; interpersonal relationship skills; pharmacology; legal aspects, American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS), communication skills, and current issues in nursing.
- Over 50 percent of the total program hours are clinical.
- Students must submit to drug testing before clinical placement.
- Learn patient assessment skills, procedures and interventions, and medication administration using the Skills Lab and Pediatric and Adult Human Patient Simulator.
- Clinical assignments at three local hospitals, several nursing homes, community mental health facilities, and other selected healthcare agencies.
This program maintains approval from the Florida State Board of Nursing. Graduates are eligible to take the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN) given by the Florida State Board of Nursing. This is a national licensing exam with reciprocity in all states. This licensure provides the LPN with eligibility to articulate with the registered nurse (RN) transition programs at community colleges or in the university system.
All instructors are registered nurses, licensed by the State of FL, and credentialed by the Board of Nursing.