- Suncoast Technical College
- Florida Law Enforcement Academy
Program Overview (Learn More...)
What to Expect:
- Learn about the code of ethics, history, evolution, and legal procedures of the law.
- Receive an introduction to the criminal justice system, the statutory authority of the FDLE Criminal Justice Standards & Training Commission (CJSTC), fundamental law and legal procedures, law enforcement operations, investigation knowledge and skills, rules of arrest, and search and seizure.
- Gain knowledge of the use of force, defensive tactics, physical fitness, controlling and restraining techniques, traffic control and direction, emergency preparedness techniques, communication skills, and human relations skills.
- Develop practical skills and field exercises, learn courtroom demeanor and testifying, report writing, identification, collection, and preservation of evidence, interviewing and interrogation techniques.
- Learn about radio communications, patrol techniques, police vehicle operation, defensive tactics, and arrest techniques, firearms training, chemical agent application fingerprinting, and sobriety testing.
- Instructional strategies require students to identify, organize, and use resources appropriately, work with each other cooperatively and productively, acquire and use information, understand social, organizational, and technological systems, and work with various tools and equipment.
- Receive training on providing initial care to sick or injured persons. (A first responder is the first to arrive at the scene of an injury but does not have the primary responsibility for treating and transporting the injured person(s).
- This program is approved by the Department of Education (DOE), utilizing standards jointly developed by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) and approved by CJSTC.
- All instructors are certified by the FDLE CJSTC. Suncoast Technical College is a CJSTC certified training center.
- Graduates are eligible to take the Law Enforcement State Certification Exam and earn credit hours toward an Associates Degree through local participating colleges in partnership with Suncoast Technical College.