- Suncoast Technical College
- Correctional Officer (BRTP)
Program Overview (Learn More...)
What to Expect:
- Gain practical skills and field experiences, including courtroom demeanor and testifying.
- Learn report writing, interviewing, communications, controlling, and restraining techniques.
- Receive training in weapons, fingerprinting, substance abuse recognition, emergency preparedness, firefighting, and interpersonal skills.
- Develop your physical fitness through training.
- Learn about the code of ethics, history, evolution, and legal procedures of the law.
- Receive an introduction to the criminal justice system, corrections rules, rights, and responsibilities of a Corrections Officer.
- Develop an understanding of correctional and law enforcement operations, laws, rules, regulations, search and defensive seizure tactics, and internal operations of corrections facilities.
- Receive first responder training to care for sick or injured persons.
Instructional strategies include identifying, organizing, and using resources appropriately; working cooperatively and productively; acquiring and using information; understanding social, organizational, and technological systems; and working with various tools and equipment.
Students can be sponsored by an employing agency or apply for direct admission. A prospective student applying for direct admission must complete and pass an application screening process.
Students are prepared for employment as entry-level correctional officers and meet the Florida Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission (CJSTC) requirements. Our program meets the requirements of the Florida Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission (CJSTC). We utilize standards developed by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) and adopted by CJSTC.
All instructors are certified by FDLE/CJSTC. Suncoast Technical College is a CJSTC certified training center.