- Booker Middle
Congressional Teacher Award
For Immediate Release – April 20, 2022 Contact: Savannah Glasgow – 202.225.5015
Buchanan Announces Congressional Teacher Award Recipients
Applauds Outstanding Local Teachers
Presented Awards to 7 Teachers in the 16th District
From left to right: Victoria Adriano, Angelee Gens, Shannon Nelson, Congressman Vern Buchanan, Kim Keebler, Erica Bruton, Eric Lostorto and Tammy Harper
SARASOTA, Fla. – Congressman Vern Buchanan announced today that seven teachers in Florida’s 16th Congressional District were chosen for the Congressional Teacher Awards.
The Congressional Teacher Awards, established by Buchanan in 2014, are given out annually to exceptional Suncoast teachers for their outstanding achievements on behalf of students.
“While they may not always receive the appreciation or recognition they deserve, teachers have one of the most important and difficult professions of all,” Buchanan said. “That is why I established the Congressional Teacher Awards – to honor educators for the crucial role they play in our community and inspiring our younger generations. This has been a challenging year for teachers and students – which makes this recognition all the more important.”
This year’s award recipients include:
- Eric Lostorto for his accomplishments as a Math teacher at Tuttle Elementary School in Sarasota
- Angelee Gens for her accomplishments as a Life Science teacher at Brookside Middle School in Sarasota
- Shannon Nelson for her accomplishments as an Exceptional Student Education teacher at Sarasota High School in Sarasota
- Victoria Adriano for her accomplishments as a Student Support Specialist teacher at Ballard Elementary School in Bradenton
- Erica Bruton for her accomplishments as an English Language Arts teacher at Lincoln Memorial Middle School in Palmetto
- Tammy Harper for her accomplishments as a Chemistry teacher at Lakewood Ranch High School in Lakewood Ranch
- Kim Keebler for her accomplishments as a Reading teacher at Newsome High School in Lithia
“On behalf of all of my constituents in the 16th Congressional District, I congratulate each of these outstanding teachers and offer my sincere appreciation for their service and dedication,” concluded Buchanan.
A total of 20 teachers who teach and live in Florida’s 16th District were nominated for the award by their principals. An independent panel of judges from Sarasota, Manatee and Hillsborough counties chose the recipients of the Congressional Teacher Awards.
The seven winners were given a certificate and recognized by the congressman in the Congressional Record for their achievements