- Sarasota County Schools
- School Board Overview
April 6 – Important Updates from Sarasota County Schools
April 6, 2020 -- 7:40 PM
Dear Sarasota County families,
Please note the following important updates form Sarasota County Schools regarding Friday’s mini break, adjustments to meal distributions for students, and participating in the 2020 Census.
April 10 – Mini Break (No School)
The mini break scheduled for this Friday, April 10th – as noted on the approved school district calendar – is still a scheduled day off for district employees and students.
Changes to Meal Distributions for Students
Due to the pre-scheduled mini break at the end of this week, food distribution will not be available this Friday, April 10th. Food distribution will only be available on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this week.
In an effort to serve our families more efficiently, and keep our staff and community healthy, we will be condensing our daily meal distributions for students, at all school distribution sites, to only one day a week starting Thursday, April 9th. This Thursday, all children 18 and under will be provided with a week’s worth of food. From the week of April 13th onward, we will be distributing a week’s worth of food to all children 18 and under every Friday at our select school sites. The meal pick-up timeframe will still be from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM on Fridays, and existing meal pick-up rules (all children 18 and under will be served; children must be present for meal pick-up) will still apply. This will continue until schools reopen.
Please note, Alta Vista Elementary School (1050 S Euclid Ave, Sarasota, FL 34237) has been added to our list of schools offering meals. As a reminder, the following Sarasota County school sites are also participating in drive-thru meal distribution:
- Booker High School – 3201 North Orange Avenue
- Fruitville Elementary School – 601 Honore Avenue
- Garden Elementary School -700 Center Road, Venice
- Wilkinson Elementary School – 3400 Wilkinson Rd, Sarasota, FL 34231
- Lamarque Elementary School – 415 Lamarque Ave, North Port, FL 34286
- North Port High School – 6400 West Price Blvd, North Port
- Atwater Elementary School – 4701 Huntsville Ave, North Port
Our Food & Nutrition Services department will attempt to accommodate a child's allergens – parents and guardians will need to email Kristen.Pulfer@sarasotacountyschools.net with allergen considerations, school location for pick-up, and approximate time of pick-up.
For Sarasota County families that are closer to Charlotte County pick-up locations, please note the following details from Charlotte County Schools:
- Children must be present to pick up meals.
- Champ’s Café will not be monitoring food allergies. Parents who have children with food allergies are fully responsible to ensure that their child does not consume food that will cause them to be sick.
- Meal pick-up locations will be open Monday through Friday, from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM:
- A. Ainger Middle School 245 Cougar WayRotonda West, FL 33947
- Peace River Elementary4070 Beaver Ln Port Charlotte, FL 33952
- Punta Gorda Middle School1001 Education Ave. Punta Gorda, FL 33950
- Neil Armstrong Elementary 22100 Breezeswept Ave.Port Charlotte, FL 33952
The 2020 Census is here, and all households should have received invitations to respond. It only takes a few minutes and it determines how more than $675 billion is spent supporting state, county and community programs, including funding for schools. Please consider going to www.my2020census.gov to complete yours. If you don’t have a computer at home, call 800-923-8282 to participate.
The school district will continue to send out updates as new information becomes available to us. Please continue to take care of our community’s overall health by encouraging your family to follow good health habits such as frequent hand washing, eating balanced meals, and getting plenty of sleep.
--Sarasota County Schools