A gifted student who is transferring from one Florida public school district to another and has a current EP must be provided service. If the EP has expired, the receiving school will need to initiate a new one using the prior EP as a guide. Re-evaluation is not required. The EP should be reviewed and revised as determined necessary by the receiving school. Any revisions to an EP are based on the current needs of the student and the program options in the receiving district.
Students may receive gifted services if they have:
- A current Individual Education Plan (IEP) or Educational Plan (EP) which indicates gifted eligibility and services.
- Enrollment data verified by paperwork or by a phone call to the district’s ESE Department verifies that the student was identified and eligible for gifted services.
- Additional Sarasota County criteria must be met to access a Gifted Magnet program such as Pine View.
Students may qualify for gifted services in the state of Florida if they have:
- A current Individual Education Plan (IEP) or Educational Plan (EP) indicates gifted eligibility and services from the previous state where the student resided.
- Students who transfer with gifted eligibility from another state do not need to meet the requirements for continued services. Upon enrollment, the student will be given comparable services to those described in the student’s gifted plan from the previous school district.
- Additional Sarasota County criteria must be met to access a Gifted Magnet program such as Pine View School. Residency in the state of Florida must be established by the deadline listed on the main gifted page of this website.