SHS Attendance Policy
School attendance is the responsibility of the parents and the student. There is a strong relationship between attendance and academic performance. All absences are considered unexcused until the school receives a written explanation from the parent/guardian within three days of the absence. The principal or designee has the authority to determine whether or not an absence is excused. Excessive excused absences for illness may result in the student being required to provide a doctor’s note or other substantiating medical evidence.
Parents have two options to submit an absence note.
1. Signed Parent's handwritten note 2. Email Note to Attendance
-Parent notes that exceed 3 consecutive days will require further documentation. Doctor's notes are always preferred if applicable.
***PARENTS/GUARDIANS*** A doctor’s note will be required after excessive absences. Any student with 15 unexcused absences within a rolling 90-day period is habitually truant and will be reported by the Superintendent to the Department of Highway and Safety and Motor Vehicles, resulting in a suspension of a driver’s license or permit.
Excused Absences/ Tardy
- Student illness (if documented by parent/guardian or medical doctor)
- Observance of a religious holiday or service that is recognized as such by members of the student’s faith
- Medical appointment with documentation
- Death in the family
- Subpoena by a law enforcement agency or mandatory court appearance
- Other individual student absences beyond the control of the parent or student, as determined and approved by the principal or principal’s designee
- Therapeutic services appointment (i.e., speech, occupational, physical, behavioral therapy)
EARLY DISMISSAL PROCEDURE
1) Parents/ guardians must complete this FORM
2) The student will be called out of class at the dismissal time, report to the Attendance Office to sign out, and receive their pass to leave campus.
3) If you return to campus that day, you will report back to the Attendance Office, sign in, and receive a pass back to class.
Authorized individuals must pick up the child in person and will be required to show identification to staff. Children will not be released to persons who fail to provide acceptable identification upon request.
There will be no students dismissed after 1:45.
We encourage you to send your child in with a note for every early dismissal to keep our classroom interruption to a minimum. When picking up your child for early dismissal, there is no need to come to school if you’ve sent them a note and called to confirm.