Dress and Grooming
At Gulf Gate Elementary School, we believe that students learn best in a professional learning environment where they are safe and free of distractions. Our character building programs place a prime value on showing respect for others and ourselves. Wearing appropriate clothing to school contributes to this climate of respect. The ability to present a neat, pleasant appearance is a career skill that will serve students well.
- Students shall keep their clothes, bodies and hair clean and well groomed.
- Clothing shall be worn as they are designed – suspenders over the shoulders, pants secured at the waist, belts buckled, no underwear as outerwear, no underwear exposed.
- Frayed clothing and clothing with holes, tears or inappropriate patches will not be allowed.
- Clothing that is too tight or revealing when standing, bending, sitting or moving is unacceptable.
- Sexually implicit or explicit clothing, bikini and tank tops, and spandex clothing (kinds of clothing usually worn at beaches and while engaging in recreation activities) are not appropriate school apparel.
- Garments and/or jewelry that display or suggest drugs, alcohol, weapons, tobacco, sex or vulgar related wording/graphics or may tend to provoke violence or disruptions and shall not be worn.
- Jewelry shall be worn in a way that does not present a safety or health hazard or cause a major disruption to the educational process. Chains hanging from the neck, belt, pocket, or attached to the wallet are prohibited.
- Gang paraphernalia, clothing, jewelry, tattoos or other insignias that display, suggest, provoke or may tend to provoke violence or disruptions are not allowed.
- Footwear must be worn at all times. Athletic shoes are required to participate in P.E.
- Hair should not block a child’s vision. Hair coloring deemed distractive or disruptive (i.e. fluorescent colors, etc.) will not be permitted.