North Port High School Attendance Policy Key Points and Parent / Student Guide
Acceptable reasons for an Excused Absence
- Student illness (if documented by parent/guardian or medical doctor).
- Observance of a religious holiday/service by members of student faith.
- Medical appointment with documentation.
- Death or documented major illness in the immediate family.
- Subpoena by law enforcement agency or mandatory court appearance.
- Other absences beyond the control of the parent, as approved by the principal.
- Students are to bring a note signed by a parent/guardian or a note from a medical doctor to the attendance office upon returning to school.
- The note must include the student’s first and last name, date(s) of absence, and reason for being absent.
- This note should be dropped off in the basket at the attendance office in within 3 days of the student’s absence.
- Parent notes that exceed 3 consecutive days will require further documentation.***A doctor’s note will be required after excessive absences ******Any student who has 15 unexcused absences within a rolling 90-day period is habitually truant and will be reported by the Superintendent to the Department of Highway and Safety and Motor Vehicles resulting in suspension of a driver’s license or permit. *** Early Dismissal Procedure
- Student must bring a note signed by a parent/guardian to the attendance office in the morning, before class starts of the early dismissal day. The student will receive a pass to report to attendance office at time of dismissal
- The note must include the student’s first and last name, date, time of early dismissal, and reason for early dismissal.
- At the noted dismissal time, the student will show their pass to the teacher, then will report back to the attendance office, sign out, receive a release pass that will be time stamped.
- Early dismissal absence will remain unexcused until the student returns to school with documentation verifying the appointment.
- If you return to campus that day, you will report back to the front window of the attendance office, sign in, and receive a pass back to class.
- All early dismissal emails must be sent before 9:30am the day of dismissal to Nicole.Chamorro@sarasotacountyschools.net***All students sent in with a pre-arranged early dismissal note and followed up by a phone call will be permitted to sign out and meet a parent out front or drive off campus. ***PARENTS*** There will be no students dismissed after 1:45 unless previously arranged.Tardy to School Procedure
We encourage you to send your child in with a note for every early dismissal to keep our classroom interruption to a minimum.
When picking up your child for early dismissal there is no need to come into school if you’ve sent them with a note and called to confirm
- Students who are tardy to school during first period within the first 10 minutes will receive a HERO Pass.
- HERO passes are available in the courtyard, at attendance, and in the breezeway at the beginning of school.
- After 7:40 am all students must report to the front window of the attendance office which is accessed through the front office. You will sign in and receive a pass to enter class. If you have a note for being tardy you will turn it into the attendance office at that time.
- ***Acceptable reasons to excuse a tardy fall under the same rules as excused absences. ***