Home Education is 100% parent-driven and by enrolling in Home Education, parents/guardians are assuming all educational responsibilities regardless of the mechanism used to educate their students. This includes all correspondence curriculum, books, or on-line curriculum (Sarasota Virtual School or Florida Virtual School).
Home Education is in lieu of attending a public school (traditional or charter) or private school. Students with a prior pattern of public school non-attendance may be subject to monthly portfolio reviews.
Parents and guardians who are considering Home Education as a school choice option should know they have the following responsibilities under Florida Statutes 1002.41 and 1003.21.
- Parents/Guardians must notify the Office of School Choice in writing within 30 days of the establishment of the Home Education Program.
- Parents/Guardians are required to maintain a portfolio of records and materials. This portfolio is to be preserved for two years and be made available, upon 15 days notice, for inspection.
- Parents/Guardians are required to provide the Office of School Choice and Charter Schools with an annual educational evaluation for students in the Home Education program:
- You can have a Florida teacher, (currently certified to teach academic subjects at the elementary or secondary level) assess your student.
- You can have your student take any nationally-normed student achievement test, administered by a certified teacher of your choice.
- The student can take a State Student Assessment test (if available through the school district)
- The student can be evaluated by an individual holding a valid, active license pursuant to the provisions of F.S.490.003 (7) or (8).
- The student can be evaluated with any other valid measurement tool not covered in 1-4 if mutually agreed upon by the school superintendent (designee) of the district in which the student resides. Examples would be SAT or ACT scores; grades earned through dual enrollment; or classes taken at public schools, private schools or online.
The required annual evaluation is due in the Office of School Choice and Charter Schools no later than 12 months after your student is registered (and within each 12 month period following that date should your student be on Home Education for more than 1 year).
Upon deciding to establish and maintain a Home Education program for your student, you will be governed by Florida statutes. The Supervisor of School Choice, Charter Schools, and Virtual School acts as the Superintendent’s designee for Home Education programs in Sarasota County. As parents and/or guardians establish their Home Education programs, the designee will help them remain in compliance with the state statutes that govern this school choice option in Florida.
National assessments and statewide, standardized assessments offered by the school district are also available to Home Education program students. Dates, times and locations for upcoming assessment administrations will be posted to the Sarasota County Schools website under Research, Assessment and Evaluation Department. Deadlines for notifying the school district of the Home Education student’s intent to participate will be posted. Notification must be given by the posted deadline in order for the school district to plan appropriately for the assessments. If you have questions or need additional information, you may contact the Research, Assessment and Evaluation Office at (941) 927-9000 ext. 32254.
Home Education students have access to Career and Technical Education (CTE) Programs through Sarasota County Schools. Multiple CTE programs are available at all middle and high schools as well as Suncoast Technical College. CAPE industry certifications are available to Home Education students that are enrolled in CTE programs at no cost. Home Education students not enrolled in CTE programs must cover all costs associated with test preparation materials and exam vouchers. State funding restrictions prohibit the school district from spending CTE funding on non-CTE students. If you have questions or need additional information, you may contact the CTE Assistant Director at (941) 924-1365 ext. 62282
Please send any and all homeschool correspondence to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions, concerns or a need for assistance, please do not hesitate to call the Office of School Choice and Virtual School at 927-9000 extension 32255.