Existing Instructional Substitutes
New Substitute Instructional Application Requirements
The Human Resources Department is currently processing instructional substitute applications for the 2020-21 school year.
Applicants may not begin substituting until all of the steps below have been completed.
Due to the current COVID situation beginning Monday, October 5, 2020, we will allow for individuals who have an AA degree or 60 college credit hours to work as an Instructional substitute. Below are the requirements if you are interested in this opportunity.
- Must be 21 years of age or older to sub at the elementary level/school
- If you are 25 years of age or older, you can sub at any level/school
- If you have a Bachelors degree you can sub at any level/school
- Must submit official college transcripts
- Must complete sub endorsement packet
- Must apply for sub certificate $20
- Current pay rate: daily (day 1-20)-$98.78
- Current pay rate: daily (long term)-$121.66
- Will not be eligible for long term sub position (over 21 days in the same position) in Title I schools
Online Instructional Application
- References- Supply two (2) references using the online application process. References must be from supervisors or administrators as noted below. Supervisors must be identified in the Work Experience section of the application.
- Experienced teachers: provide references from a recent administrator(s) (principals, assistant principals).
- Pre-graduates: provide references from Supervisor of Interns, Supervising Teacher, and Major Professor.
- For non-education majors: provide references from current and most recent administrator(s) / supervisor(s).
- Previous Sarasota County School Board Employees: provide references from a recent administrator(s) / supervisors(s) and a reference from the most recent SCSB supervisor/administrator.
Applicants should contact the Human Resources Department to verify that all information has been received and their status is “Application Complete” in the Applicant Tracking System before proceeding to additional requirements below.
- Official transcript(s). Foreign transcripts must be translated and evaluated. Photocopies are not acceptable.
- Complete the District’s Substitute Endorsement Program. This requirement is waived for teachers who have taught full time in a classroom for a minimum of one year in a U.S. public or private school within the preceding five years.
- Complete pre-employment processing.
- If you do not hold a Florida teaching certificate you must apply for sub certificate for $20.
- Register for and attend Substitute Orientation. All paperwork must be completed 5 days prior to orientation.
- There is a requirement that 10 days must be worked within the school year to remain active in our system.
Applicants may not begin substituting until all of the above steps have been completed.
To apply, please click here: Online Application