Graduation Requirements | Program of Studies 2015-2016 | 9th Grade Program of Studies 2015-2016 | Co-Enrollment | Important Senior Dates | Testing | Bright Futures Handbook | Links and Survival Tips | Student/Parent Handbook 2014-15 | Need $ for college | College Match Tool | Community Service Hours | Online Course needed for Graduation
The Sarasota High School Guidance Counselors are available for assistance in the areas of academics, careers, social/personal, and community service. Students meet with Guidance Counselors to discuss potential careers and academics required to achieve their goals. The high school years can be difficult to navigate with peer and adult relationships. The Guidance Counselors can assist both parents and students with strategies to enhance their social and emotional well-being.
A Parent or Guardian must accompany a student under 18 years of age to register at a school.
Florida law requires the following before we can register a student:
- Written proof of current residence address. (e.g. recent utility bill, FPL, water/sewer, mortgage or lease agreement.)
- Proof of date of birth. (Certified copy of birth certificate)
- Proof of Immunization verified with HRS Form 680. (Blue form)
- Physical exam within the previous 12 months signed and dated by a physician. (Note: Proof of physical if previously enrolled in a Florida Public School.)
- Proof of Custody. If a single parent is separated, divorced, or if another custodial situation exists a copy of legal residential custody document is required.
- You should also bring:
- Name and address of previous school(s) attended.
- Any available information from previous school(s) such as report cards, transcripts, or student participation in special programs.
- If your student has been in any Exceptional Student Education (ESE) programs the most recent Individual Educational Plan (IEP) and an appointment with SHS ESE liaison is required 955-0181 ext. 64520.
Other Important Information
Transcripts - Complete transcript request form in Guidance and submit to Mrs. Clark. The first five transcripts are free and $2.00 each thereafter.
Seniors Important Bright Futures Information:
2011-12 Awardees - Students are now required to submit a complete, error-free FAFSA for Bright Futures, Florida Resident Access Grant, and Access to Better Learning and Education Grant initial and renewal eligibility any time prior to disbursement. No FAFSA = No $
2011-12 High School Graduates - Increase in community service requirement (and hours increase for Florida Academic Scholars) for all three Bright Futures award levels. Bright Futures Florida Academic Scholars (FAS), Florida Medallion Scholars (FMS), and Florida Gold Seal Vocational Scholars (GSV) during the 2011-12 academic year, and thereafter, must complete:
o FAS – 100 hours
o FMS – 75 hours
o GSV – 30 hours
The PALS Partners in Education Office/Landings - (Green Awning, room 113, first floor) will host one of our volunteer representatives one day per week during the summer to pre approve high school community service. Students must download and complete the application (including parent/guardian signature) located at
Community Service Hours
During the summer months, the applications will be accepted and processed in person only; the student must come to the PALS Office to meet with the volunteer project manager.
Community Service - Friendship Volunteer Center representatives meet with students any Tuesday during lunches in Guidance. Students are required to meet with a representative prior to earning community service hours. Representatives assist with community service placement. Appointments are not necessary. 75 community service hours equals 0.5 elective credit and is required for the Florida Academic Scholarship, one of the Bright Futures Scholarships. 150 comunity service hours equals 1.0 elective credit.