Community/Schools Partnership for the Arts
Independent Advisory Committee to the Superintendent of Sarasota County Schools Since 1996
The COMMUNITY / SCHOOLS PARTNERSHIP FOR THE ARTS (C/SPA), a unique partnership between the Arts & Cultural Alliance and the Sarasota Public School District, is comprised of school and district administrators, teachers, parents, students, education directors from many of the local arts venues, and other community arts education advocates. In 2002, C/SPA was recognized at a national symposium of the Arts Education Partnership (AEP) in Washington, DC, for its outstanding collaborative relationship between the arts community and the school district. This volunteer organization continues to serve all of Sarasota County's K-12 public school students.
C/SPA's long-term goals are to advance the knowledge of arts education and its strategies, to encourage
continuous learning and to promote dialogue about arts education in our schools and in our community.
The COMMUNITY / SCHOOLS PARTNERSHIP FOR THE ARTS represents exemplary cooperation between leaders in the school district and leaders in the fine arts community to support and improve arts education in Sarasota County.
C/SPA envisions every student participating in a quality arts program, taught through a balanced curriculum, based on national standards with school and community collaboration.
C/SPA provides leadership in the continual development, implementation, and celebration of education in, about, and through the arts for all students in Sarasota County.
1. Develop and implement curricula in five art forms: dance, media, music, theatre, and visual arts.
2. Infuse the arts into all facets of school life and into all subjects.
3. Develop and implement innovative programs including visual and performing arts magnet programs, to enhance standards-based courses, expanding the range of experiences available to students and teachers.
4. Systematically assess student learning in the arts and regularly evaluate arts education programs.
5. Recruit, hire, and retain highly qualified, certified arts teachers in all arts forms.
6. Provide regular professional development so that teachers can help their students meet National and Sunshine State Standards in the arts.
7. Address needs and resources for arts education in district planning, budgeting, and communication processes.
8. Provide equitable and adequate human, financial and instructional resources, facilities, equipment and supplies for education in all five art forms.
9. Communicate within the school district, the community, the state and the nation regarding arts education in Sarasota County and its effects.
C/SPA’s Top Ten Priorities
- ACCESS - helping to ensure that every child has access to sequential dance, media arts, music, theatre, and visual art instruction at his/her level of achievement
- EQUITY - helping to ensure that students at all schools, regardless of their learning challenges, enjoy the same opportunities in arts education
- RESOURCES - helping to locate and encourage new sources of funding and monitor distribution of school and community arts education resources
- QUALITY - helping to ensure that all arts education courses are taught by qualified, certified arts educators
- CONTENT - helping to create and maintain excellence in arts education curricula and assessments as well as helping to align community arts programs with school district curricula
- INNOVATION - helping to ensure that teachers are aware of and utilizing the latest techniques and encouraging their students’ originality
- LITERACY - helping to ensure that every child is literate in the arts as well as all of the other subjects taught in schools, especially reading
- RECOGNITION - helping to ensure that the district is recognized for its outstanding collaborations and that students, teachers, and community arts supporters have opportunities for celebrating their achievements
- COMMUNICATION - helping to teach the community at large the importance of supporting a world class, balanced education for its students
- CONTINUOUS PROGRESS - helping to monitor arts education programs to ensure that there is positive movement in all of these areas every year
2012-2013 C/SPA MEETING DATES
- M, Aug. 13th Steering Committee Meeting 4:30-6:30 p.m. at Landings Blue Room 221
- Th, Sept. 27th FALL MEETING 4:45-6:45 p.m. Laurel Nokomis School Media Center FOCUS: Liaisons/Parent Contacts/ Student Ambassadors Kick-Off
- W, Oct. 24th Steering Committee Meeting 4:30-6:30 p.m. at Landings Blue Room 221 FOCUS: chatting with Superintendent Lori White 5-6 p.m.
- Tu, Jan. 29th Steering Committee Meeting 4:30-6:30 p.m. at Landings Blue Room 221 FOCUS: chatting with John Zoretich and Page Dettmann, Executive Directors of Elementary and Middle Schools
- W, Feb. 20th Steering Committee Meeting 4:30-6:30 p.m. at Landings Blue Room 221 FOCUS: chatting with Steve Cantees, Executive Director of High Schools
- Th, Mr. 21st Steering Committee Meeting 4:30-6:30 p.m. at Blue Room 221 FOCUS: planning for spring meeting & wrapping up 2012-13 committee business
- Th, Apr. 25th SPRING MTG 4:45-6:45 location TBA FOCUS: Celebration of Accomplishments/Honor Liaisons, Parent Supporters, Student Ambassadors
- F, Jn. 7th Steering Committee Meeting 10a.m.-2p.m. Landings Blue Room 221 FOCUS: reviewing spring meeting & LRP accomplishments; setting goals for next year
COMMUNITY / SCHOOL PARTNERSHIP FOR THE ARTS
2012-2013 Steering Committee Membership
SARASOTA COUNTY COMMUNITY MEMBERS
- CHAIR - Nancy Roucher, Sarasota County Arts Education Task Force Chair
- Cindy Balistreri, Arts and Cultural Alliance of Sarasota Business Coordinator
- Karen Bell, Circus Sarasota Director of Education
- Susan Burke, Arts Education Advocate
- Wendy Dickinson, Ringling College of Art and Design Integrated Curriculum Advisor
- Beth Duda, Florida Studio Theatre Director of Education
- Brian Hersh, Asolo Repertory Theatre Director of Education
- Barbara Johnson, Creative Drama for Creative Learning & Players Theatre Board Member
- Judy Levine, Teaching Artists Coordinator for Arts & Cultural Alliance
- Elizabeth Power, Perlman Suncoast Program Executive Director
- Bruce Rodgers, Hermitage Artists Retreat Executive Director
- Alyson Rozier, Sarasota Orchestra Music Education Coordinator
- Robert Warren, Van Wezel Performing Arts Center Director of Education
- Maureen Zaremba, John & Mable Ringling Museum of Art Curator of Education
SARASOTA COUNTY SCHOOLS MEMBERS
- CHAIR - Angela Hartvigsen, Fine Arts Program Specialist
- COORDINATOR - Karen Johns, Lakeview Music Educator
- Steve Cantees, Executive Director of High Schools
- Page Dettmann, Executive Director of Middle Schools
- Ron DiPillo, Oak Park School Principal
- Steve Dragon, Southside Elementary School Principal
- Gretchen Eidelbus, Taylor Ranch Elementary Educator
- Phyllis Frederic, Oak Park Assistant Principal
- Jackie Henson-Dacey, Riverview High School Art Educator
- Wendy Katz, Principal on Special Assignment for School District
- Leanne Mcintire, The Education Channel Manager/Director
- Carrie Mills, Booker Middle School Theatre Educator
- Janet Ndah, Laurel Nokomis School Assistant Principal
- Christ Renouf, Ashton Elementary School Principal
- Nancy Roberts, Exec. Director of Curriculum and Instruction
- Justin Whitmer, Riverview High School Student
- John Zoretich, Executive Director of Elementary Schools
C/SPA's 2012-2013 COMMITTEE WORK
Community/School Partnership for the Arts is always looking for volunteers to help complete yearly advocacy projects. Committee members do not have to be on the Steering Committee.
- District Policies & C/SPA Recommendations – Cindy Balistreri (chair), Robert Warren and Barbara Johnson
- Expanding Our Voice: Separate Website & Social Media – Angela Hartvigsen (chair), Alyson Rozier, Justin Whitmer and Charles Allen
- Liaisons – Karen Johns (chair), Carrie Mills, & Angela Hartvigsen
- Leadership Award – Jackie Henson-Dacey (chair), Robert Warren and Joanna Fox
For more information, please contact the co-chairs:
Community - Nancy Roucher firstname.lastname@example.org
Schools - Angela Hartvigsen email@example.com